So it's been about a whirlwind of a week and a half around here. A week ago Friday, we learned that the BoMan has Celiac Diease and that we were going to have to make big changes around here. My first reaction was to just cry...I felt extremely guilty and thankful and confused all in one.
I have just started getting used to the healthier cooking/eating we've been doing around here. That alone has taken a year. Let alone all the flack we've gotten from it! How am I going to relearn this all over again?
I am so thankful that it is something that is manageable with diet. There are so many parents whose children have terminal illness and there isn't much they can do...As long as he is gluten free he won't feel sick! Praise the Lord!
I feel soooo guilty that I put it off this long...the nurse and I felt pretty confident that it was just because we have been eating so many more fresh fruits and veggies. This has been going on for months...progressively getting worse. I kept on with the whole wheat though!! There are so many other symptoms..body aches and headaches and damage to his little intestines...the list goes on. Has he been feeling this way? He is so tough, you'd never know! My poor baby...how long has he felt bad?!?
It's hereditary...the rest of us are getting tested this week. Who else might have it? Carlyn complains of tummy aches...Aldon gets headaches. What about school lunch..if one of them has it then what? Will they be eating "cold" lunch everyday for 18 more years? What about snack at preschool? I don't want Bo to feel "wierd" when he has something different than everyone else and can't have the cupcakes for his friends birthday.
And yes this is how my brain is functioning...tornado speed...sucking it all in...twirling it around...thinking bout all the info I've been reading...spitting a few things out...only to pick up more...
So right now we are managing...might I say barely. I am going through bread with drawl...missing my peanut butter toast with chocolate milk at 5 a.m. I've finally gotten some gluten free pasta...which the kids very much appreciate! We can do this! (I have to occasionally tell myself this 5-6 times a day..)
I do truly believe that everything happens for a reason! If I hadn't been pumping us full of whole wheat food for the past year, how long could this disease remained unnoticed? Maybe the food change will help the rest of us feel better. We'll see what's instore...
We can do this!
I have just started getting used to the healthier cooking/eating we've been doing around here. That alone has taken a year. Let alone all the flack we've gotten from it! How am I going to relearn this all over again?
I am so thankful that it is something that is manageable with diet. There are so many parents whose children have terminal illness and there isn't much they can do...As long as he is gluten free he won't feel sick! Praise the Lord!
I feel soooo guilty that I put it off this long...the nurse and I felt pretty confident that it was just because we have been eating so many more fresh fruits and veggies. This has been going on for months...progressively getting worse. I kept on with the whole wheat though!! There are so many other symptoms..body aches and headaches and damage to his little intestines...the list goes on. Has he been feeling this way? He is so tough, you'd never know! My poor baby...how long has he felt bad?!?
It's hereditary...the rest of us are getting tested this week. Who else might have it? Carlyn complains of tummy aches...Aldon gets headaches. What about school lunch..if one of them has it then what? Will they be eating "cold" lunch everyday for 18 more years? What about snack at preschool? I don't want Bo to feel "wierd" when he has something different than everyone else and can't have the cupcakes for his friends birthday.
And yes this is how my brain is functioning...tornado speed...sucking it all in...twirling it around...thinking bout all the info I've been reading...spitting a few things out...only to pick up more...
So right now we are managing...might I say barely. I am going through bread with drawl...missing my peanut butter toast with chocolate milk at 5 a.m. I've finally gotten some gluten free pasta...which the kids very much appreciate! We can do this! (I have to occasionally tell myself this 5-6 times a day..)
I do truly believe that everything happens for a reason! If I hadn't been pumping us full of whole wheat food for the past year, how long could this disease remained unnoticed? Maybe the food change will help the rest of us feel better. We'll see what's instore...
We can do this!


0 comments:
Post a Comment